More ways to make moving easier
1. Donate, sell items, and throw away stuff you don’t need anymore.
2. Clean out your closets, attic, and basement.
3. Inspect any items that have been stored outside before packing them for egg mas, pests, for Gypsy Moths.
4. Cancel Utilities ahead of time ,so you can quickly register to your new place and not pay for the services when you’re no longer available.
5. Notify everyone possible ahead of time with your address change.
6. Take time to say goodbye to friends and neighbors before moving day.
7. Don’t pack away your medications and phone charges. You might need them!
8. Pack an overnight bag containing all the essentials.
9. Put special markings on stuff you want to pack first such as bed sheets, kitchen utensils and drinking glasses.
10. Use bubble wrap, paper or some cushion to help absorb shock while in transit.
11. Don’t use old newspaper to pack because the ink can rub off onto an item
12. Don’t pack your child’s favorite toy before moving.
13. The top of the box should not bend inward.
14. Don’t use damaged boxes and cracked storage bins.
15. Don’t use trash bags to pack clothes because they can’t stack, and they rip easily.
16. Don’t overload boxes, it will be difficult to stack them, might rip the box apart, and might pierce the bottom of the box top of the overload box.
17. Use enough tape to seal the bottom and top of each box.
Tape vertically and horizontally to form a cross at the bottom and top of the box.
18. Always put heavier items such as books in small boxes, and lighter items in large boxes. It will be easier to carry that way.
19. Label all the boxes with what room and the content inside them.
20. Use sandwich bags to keep hardware for TV, furniture, and all those crazy wires together.
21. Take picture of how electronics are connected so you can easily put everything together.
22. Have separate box for the chargers, remotes, wires, etc.
23. Use wardrobe boxes for your clothes in your closet.
24. Pack lampshades in boxes by themselves.
25. Use dish packs(type of box) when packing china and dishes and crumple a layer of paper or bubble wrap on the bottom to cushion the edges.
26. Use reusable movers blankets( low cost ones in Harbor freight, or use old heavy blankets) to wrap around furniture to protect them from bumps and scratches.
27. Let the professional movers know if there is any fragile items before moving (If your planning to use one).
28. Wrap sharp pointy items carefully and cover the edges and label which end is sharp.
29. Place a cotton pad or ball into your solid powder cake cosmetics to keep them from breaking. Do not pack these items if you are moving long distance or going to storage. They will spoil!
30. Place pump soap, and shower bottles into plastic Ziploc bags and seal closed to prevent spilling.
31. Wrap shoes in clean paper sheets or shoe bags to keep them from rubbing and getting cuffed.
32. Never pack flammable, combustibles or pressurized containers (aerosols). These are non-allowable hazardous items.
33. Save your essential items for last in the moving day. Your family might need them immediately after the move.
34. Don’t use boxes without tops.
Unloading day at your new home
36. Inspect boxes carefully for any damages before picking up.
37. Always squat when lifting or lowering an item. Don’t bend, twist, or reach while carrying something
38. Use scissors and box cutters to open boxes. Knives can cut too deep and can cut the contents insides.
39. Unpack fragile items on a flat padded surface to avoid damages.